I was inspired by my blogging friend My Perfect Breakdown to do a random facts about me post. Here are 5 things about me that have nothing to do with my progeny or my parenting.
1. I grew up always owning horses, was obsessed with horses, used to show horses, but haven’t been on a horse since I was probably 19 years old (so, 12 years ago). I have absolutely no reason for giving it up besides just not getting a new horse when my last horse died. This memory inspired me to look through old pictures and share some here.
2. I used to breed tropical fish for spending-money in high school. I had over 10 aquariums set up in my house. My mom was so tolerant!!
3. I’m a whiney sick person. I’m not proud of it, and spent a lot of years denying it, but I hate being sick and I make sure the world knows.
4. I was raised mostly by my mom. My parents separated when I was 3, but they remained friends and my dad visited almost every weekend and every holiday. I’m still more of a daddy’s girl than a mama’s girl, maybe because my mom had to do most of the discipline and my dad just had to show up for the fun things.
5. My favourite animal is not the cat, despite being a self-declared cat person and always having at least one cat in my care. My favourites are a tie between the blue whale and the common loon. It’s on my bucket list to see a blue whale, and part of why I love them so much is that I know it’s actually very unlikely I’ll ever be fortunate enough to see one.
Whale and loon photos from Pixabay.com
Want to share some random facts about you?
Avery’s not forming sentences yet at 19 months old (well she is, but they’re in baby-gibberish), but she’s beginning to say some pretty cute things. Here are my top 5 favourite cute things she’s saying these days:
1. “Ay-ah, teet!” (Which means Anna, treat!). She loves giving the cats treats, but one hides upstairs while the other tries taking them out of her hand. So she runs to the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs holding one reserved treat above her head away from the greedy cat, and yells for Anna to come down and get her treat.
2. “No”. It’s not the fact that she’s saying it that’s cute – it’s how. The upward and then downward inflection makes her sound desperate to be listened to. Also cute, we heard her talking in her sleep over the baby monitor the other night: “nOo. nOo. nOo.” I think she was probably having an innocent dream that we were making her put her shoes on or something.
3. She says whale like, “way-oo.”
4. She says mommy like “muh-yee.”
5. And a truly classic in toddler talk, she says please like “pwease.”
I’m having a good day. Here are just 5 of the little things that I’m loving right at this moment.
- Avery was so happy when I picked her up from daycare. She and her daycare best friend were caught in an adorable loop of “bye”s and hugs when we were about to leave, and she sang to herself all the way home.
- After nursing her to sleep for her nap, I took about 20 minutes to just stare at her and kiss her forehead.
- I played with fresh playdough before it got sticky, snotty, slobbery toddler hands all over it.
- I baked a successful loaf of white sourdough bread – the white flour has been giving me trouble with rising lately, but this time I nailed it.
- It feels like spring outside. The air is warming, it’s rainy and dreary, and the earth smells fecund. My favourite kind of weather.